Top 5 Reasons Not to Miss “Adventure Time’s” Return on HBO Max (Trailer)
HBO Max launched Wednesday, May 27, and the Distant Lands specials star June 25. Here are our Top 5 reasons Adventure Time is so much fun to get lost in, and why now is the perfect time to start watching.
1. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland full of candy people
How many shows do you know that have a post-apocalyptic setting with citizens made of candy? In the very first episode, “Slumber Party Panic,” there’s a surprise zombie candy invasion in which the dead attack Candy Kingdom citizens because of a graveyard experiment gone wrong. Jake and Finn show up to help save the day using their wits, charm and math skills. By the way, this wasteland, the Land of Ooo, also has a Wildberry Kingdom, Cloud Kingdom and Fire Kingdom, just to name a few.
2. It’s a story about a young boy and his loyal dog
There’s nothing more classic than a tale about a kid, his dog and their quests. But in Adventure Time that familiar story takes place in a magical world where not only does the dog talk, he can also stretch his body into all kinds of shapes and sizes. Finn the human and Jake the dog also have more of an equal friendship than a master-and-pet dynamic. They always have each other’s backs even when fighting against a threatening foe like the Ice King, or when one of them accidentally ends up in the astral plane and needs help getting back.
3. There’s a vampire queen who rocks out
Fun-loving vampire queen Marceline is one of my favorite reasons to watch Adventure Time. She might be a 1,000-year-old vampire but she looks more like a hipster Goth who enjoys playing her battle-ax electric bass guitar. Unlike the usual evil kind of vamps, Marceline doesn’t drink blood (she actually just eats and drinks the color red). And she loves to pull pranks. She’s like the female Loki of the Land of Ooo.
4. There are many princesses, and none is a damsel in distress
Candy Kingdom has a princess, but she’s not the traditional kind of fairytale royalty: Princess Bubblegum is a scientist. Fire Kingdom is ruled by short-tempered Flame Princess, and Cloud Kingdom is ruled by a sarcastic purple cloud named Lumpy Space Princess. They’re sassy, smart and pack plenty of power, but also face their own faults and limitations. The show’s many episodes usually feature these princesses learning a thing or two about compassion, trust and friendship.
5. Life should always be looked at as an adventure
As the show’s name suggests, there’s always time for adventure, if you want it. Life is messy, and scary, and often unfair. But that doesn’t mean you should give up hope of having any fun. Adventure Time teaches us that even when we’re all stuck in the middle of a dire situation like a zombie candy outbreak, positive thinking and friendship and the desire to have a blast can get us through just about anything.
Here’s what the four new Adventure Time: Distant Lands episodes on HBO Max are all about:
- BMO: When there’s a deadly emergency far away in space, the lovable robot BMO comes to the rescue.
- Obsidian: Marceline the vampire and Princess Bubblegum team up on a journey to Glass Kingdom to prevent a catastrophe.
- Wizard City: Peppermint Butler is just another inexperienced Wizard School student. When mysterious events on campus cast suspicion, he must master the mystic arts in time to prove his innocence.
- Together Again: Finn and Jake reunite to rediscover their friendship and embark on the most important adventure of their lives.